Use of oxidative stress biomarkers in three Crustacean species for the assessment of water pollution in Kocabaş Stream (Çanakkale, Turkey)
Mehmet Akbulut, Kahraman Selvi, Hasan Kaya, Muge Duysak, Fatma Akcay, Ekrem Sanver Celik
Freshwater invertebrates are commonly used in biological monitoring, but research of biomarkers at biochemical level is still at the early stage of development. Biomarkers in aquatic species are regarded as important for detecting stressor components, such as presence of pollutants and changes in environmental factors (pH, temperature, dissolved oxygen, etc.). In this study, to evaluate the pollution in Kocabaş Stream, we used specific biomarkers (GSH, TBARS and Na+, K+-ATPase) in homogenates of whole organisms. Macro invertebrate samples were sampled from three locations receiving increasing levels of urban and industrial waste water discharges along the Kocabaş Stream (Çanakkale-Turkey) in April and July 2013. Locations were selected to include the aquatic communities in poor and good ecological state depending on the measured physico-chemical water parameters and the analysis of benthic macro invertebrate communities. According to the results of the study, statistically important increases in TBARS and GSH level of Asellus aquaticus, Gammarus pulex pulex and Potamon ibericum collected from the stations in Çan and Biga were observed compared to the individuals collected from Yenice. These results indicated that presence of serious pollutants in Kocabaş Stream especially in Çan region also occurred in the physiology of macro invertebrate organisms living in the region.
- Akbulut, M., Kaya, H., Çelik, E.Ş., Odabaşı, D.A., Sağır, O.S. and K. Selvi. 2010. Assessment of surface water quality in the Atikhisar Reservoir and Sarıçay Creek (Çanakkale, Turkey). Ekoloji, 19(74):139-149.
- Anonymous. 1998. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. In: American Public Health Association (ed) Washington, DC.
- Barrento, S., Marques, A., Teixeira, B., Carvalho, M. L., Vaz-Pires, P. and M. L. Nunes. 2009. Accumulation of elements (S, As, Br , Sr , Cd, Hg, Pb) in two populations of Cancer pagurus: Ecological implications to human consumption. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 47:150–156.
- Berra, E., Forcella, M., Giacchini, R., Marziali, L., Rossaro, B., and P. Parenti. 2003. Evaluation of enzyme biomarkers in freshwater invertebrates from Taro and Ticino River, Italy. Annales de Limnologie – International Journal of Limnology, 40(3):169–180.
- Bradford, M.M. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantization of protein utilizing the principle of dyeprotein binding. Analytical Biochemistry, 72: 248-254.
- Camejo, G., Wallin, B., and M. Enojarvi. 1998. Analysis of oxidation and antioxidants using microtiter plates. In: Free Radical and Antioxidant Protocols. (ed. D. Armstrong) Methods in Molecular Biology, 108: 377-386.
- Depledge, M.H. and M.C. Fossi. 1994. The role of biomarkers in environmental assessment (2). Invertebrates. Ecotoxicology, 3:161–172.
- Farombi, E.O., Adelowo, O.A. and Y.R. Ajimoko. 2007. Biomarkers of oxidative stress and heavy metal levels as indicators of environmental pollution in African cat fish (Clarias gariepinus) from Nigeria Ogun River. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 4(2):158- 165.
- Francesco, R. 2000. Total oxyradical scavenging capacity (TOSC) in polluted and translocated mussels: A predictive biomarker of oxidative stress. Aquatic Toxicology, 50(4): 351–361.
- Francesco R., Frenzilli, G., Bocchetti, R., Annarumma, F., Scarcelli, V., Fattorini, D. and M. Nigro. 2004. Time-course variations of oxyradical metabolism, DNA integrity and lysosomal stability in mussels, Mytilus galloprovincialis, during a field translocation experiment. Aquatic Toxicology, 68(2): 167–178.
- Hyne, R. V. and W. Maher. 2003. Invertebrate biomarkers: Links to toxicosis that predict population decline. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 54(3): 366–374.
- Kaya, H., Akbulut, M., Selvi, K., Ileri, B. and M. Duysak. 2014a. Heavy metal accumulation, biomarker responses and sensitivity to oxidative stress in isopoda Asellus aquaticus from Sarıçay Creek (Canakkale-Turkey). Ekoloji, 23(91): 8- 15.
- Kaya, H., Selvi, K., Akbulut, M. and A. Tulgar. 2014b. The use of biomarkers to determine the effects of the water pollution on the Odonata larvae, Aeshna affinis in Sarıçay Creek (Çanakkale-Turkey). Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 23(1):57-63.
- Khan, S. and D. Nugegoda. 2003. Australian freshwater crayfish Cherax destructor accumulates and depurates nickel. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 70:308–314.
- Livingstone, D.R. 2001. Contaminant-stimulated reactive oxygen species production and oxidative damage in aquatic organisms. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 42:656–666.
- Logan, M. 2010. Biostatistical design and analysis using a practical guide. Wiley-Blackwell, London.
- Meister, A. and M.E. Anderson. 1983. Glutathione. Annual Review of Biochemistry. 52:711-760.
- Owens, C.W.I. and R.V. Belcher. 1965. A colorometric micromethod for determination of glutathione. Biochemical Journal, 94: 705-711.
- Risso-de Faverney, C., Lafaurie, M., Girard, J.P. and R. Rahmani. 2000. Effect of heavy metals and 3-methylcholanthrene on expression and induction of CYP1A1 and metallothionein levels in trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) hepatocyte cultures. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 19:2239–2248.
- Selvi, K., Akbulut, M., Kaya, H. and A. Tulgar. 2012. Lead bioaccumulation in gill, muscle and hepatopancreas tissues of Mediterranean green crab, Carcinus aestuarii (Nardo, 1847). Marine Science and Technology Bulletin, 1:13-16.
- Smith, C., Shaw, B. and R.D. Handy. 2007. Toxicity of single walled carbon nanotubes to rainbow trout, (Oncorhynchus mykiss): Respiratory toxicity, organ pathologies and other physiological effects. Aquatic Toxicology, 82(2):94-109.
- Strickland, J.U.H. and T.R. Parsons. 1972. A practical handbook of seawater analysis. 2nd edition, Bulletin of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada (SAUS), 167-310.
- Valko, M., Morris, H. and M.T.D. Cronin. 2005. Metals, toxicity and oxidative stress. Current Medicinal Chemistry, 12:1161– 1208.
- Vlahogianni, T., Dassenakis, M., Scoullos, M.J. and A. Valavanidis. 2007. Integrated use of biomarkers (superoxide dismutase, catalase and lipid peroxidation) in mussels Mytilus galloprovincialis for assessing heavy metals’ pollution in coastal areas from the Saronikos Gulf of Greece. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 54:1361–1371.
- Wheatley, R. A. 2000. Some recent trends in the analytical chemistry of lipid peroxidation. Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 19:617–628.
- Winston, G.W. and R.T. Di Giulio. 1991. Prooxidant and antioxidant mechanisms in aquatic organisms. Aquatic Toxicology, 19:137-161.
- Zhang, Y., Songa, Y., Yuana, H., Xua, Y., Hec, Z. and L. Duana. 2010. Biomarker responses in the bivalve (Chlamys farreri) to exposure of the environmentally relevant concentration so flead, mercury, copper. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, 30:19–25.