Early ontogenic development of the fatty acid composition in seabass (Dicentrarchus labrax) eggs and juveniles from captive broodstocks
Serap Tan, Musa Bulut, Soner Bilen
In the present study, effects of different diets on the fatty acid composition of hatched seabass (Dicentrarchus labrax) at after fertilization of the egg (E), and yolk sac (Y) stages have been investigated. In the study, the fish were fed with Artemia (A), Artemia-microparticulate mix (AMD) and microparticulate diet (M). According to the results of the study, the levels of total PUFAs in the total lipid (TL) were significantly higher in eggs (E) (P<0.05) compared to the other groups. 14:1, 15:1, 17:1 and 22:1n 9 and also aracidonic acid and docosaksaneoic acid could not be detected in Artemia but detectable in E and Y groups. During the development stages, polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), arachidonic (20:4n6 ArA), eicosapentaenoic (20:5n-3, EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3, DHA) were decreased significantly (P<0.05) till the AMD stage. ArA, EPA and DHA were used as energy sources by Dicentrarchus labrax larvae. Total n-3 content showed the highest levels at the AMD stage, which was followed by the M, E, Y and A stages, respectively. EPA/DHA ratio was the highest in the AMD group (P>0.05). In the study, seabass fatty acid composition at different growth stages was affected by diet composition. After feeding stage especially in the AMD and M groups, essential fatty acids were provided from diets.
- AOAC. 2000. Association of Official Analytical Chemists: Official Methods of Analysis. 17th Edn., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC., USA. Pages: 2200.
- Bell, J.G., Farndale, B.M., Bruce, M.P., Navas, J.M., and M. Carillo. 1997. Effects of broodstock dietary lipid on fattyacid compositions of eggs from sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Aquaculture, 149: 107-119.
- Bell, J.G., Tocher, D.R., and J.R., Sargent. 1994. Effect of supplementation with 20:3(n-6), 20:4(n-6) and 20:5(n-3) on the production of prostaglandins E and F of the 1-, 2- and 3-series in turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) brain astroglial cells in primary culture. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) – Lipids and Lipid Metabolism, 1211: 335-342.
- Bell, M.V., Henderson, R.J., and J.R., Sargent. 1986. The role of polyunsaturated fatty acids in fish. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B: Comparative Biochemistry, 4: 711-719.
- Bruce, M., Oyen, F., Bell, G., Asturiano, J.F., and B. Farndale. 1999. Development of broodstock diets for the European SeaBass (Dicentrarchus labrax) with special emphasis on the importance of n−3 and n−6 highly unsaturated fattyacid to reproductive performance. Aquaculture, 177(1-4): 85-97.
- Castell, J.D., Bell, J.G., Tocher, D.R., and J.R., Sargent. 1994. Effects of purified diets containing different combinations of arachidonic and docosahexaenoic acid on survival, growth and fatty acid composition of juvenile turbot (Scophthalmus maximus). Aquaculture, 128: 315-333.
- Cejas, J.R., Almansa, E., Villamandos, J.E., Badýa, P., Bolarnos, A., and A. Lorenzo. 2003. Lipid and fatty acid composition of ovaries from wild fish and ovaries and eggs from captive fish of white sea bream (Diplodus sargus). Aquaculture, 216: 299-313.
- Cejas, J.R., Almansa, E., Jerez, S., Bolaños, A., Samper, M., and A. Lorenzo. 2004. Lipid and fatty acid composition of muscle and liver from wild and captive mature female broodstocks of white seabream, Diplodus sargus. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 138: 91-102.
- Folch, J., Lees, M., and G.H.S., Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 226: 496- 509.
- Furuita, H., Yamamoto, T., Shima, T., Suzuki, N., and T. Takeuchi. 2003. Effect of arachidonic acid levels in broodstock diet on larval and egg quality of Japanese flounder Paralichthys olivaceus. Aquaculture, 220: 725-735.
- Henderson, R.J., and D.R., Tocher. 1987. The lipid composition and biochemistry of freshwater fish. Progress in Lipid Research, 26: 281-347.
- Lee, S.M. 2001. Review of the lipid and essential fatty acid requirements of rockfish (Sebastes schlegeli). Aquaculture Research, 32: 8-17.
- Miyashita, K., Inukai, N., Ota, T., Sasaki, S., and T. Ota. 1999. Antioxidant activity of water extracts from fish eggs on PC liposomes. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 65: 488-494.
- Mustafa, T., and K.C., Srivastava. 1989. Prostaglandins (Eicosanoids) and their Role in Ectothermic Organisms. In: Advances in Comparative and Environmental Physiology, Gilles, R. (Ed.). Vol. 5. Springer, New York, USA., ISBN-13: 9783540508250, pp: 157-207.
- Navas, J.M., Mananos, E., Thrush, M., Ramos, J., and S. Zanuy. 1998. Effect of dietary composition on vitellogenin, 17β estrodial and gonodotropinplasma levels and spawning performance in captive sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax L.). Aquaculture, 165: 65-79.
- Ronnestad, I., Koven, W.M., Tandler, A., Harel, M., and H.J., Fyhn. 1994. Energy metabolism during development of eggs and larvae of gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata). Marine Biology, 120: 187-196.
- Sargent, J.R., Henderson, R.J., and D.R., Tocher. 2002. The Lipids. In J. Halver., Hardy, E. (Eds.), Fish Nutrition (pp. 181-257), Academic Press, Elsevier, San Diego, California, USA
- Sargent, J., Bell, G., McEvoy, L., Tocher, D., and A. Estevez. 1999. Recent developments in the essential fatty acid nutrition of fish. Aquaculture, 177: 191-199.
- Shields, R.J. 2001. Larviculture of marine finfish in Europe. Aquaculture, 200(1-2): 55-88.
- Skalli, A., and J.H., Robin. 2004. Requirement of n-3 long chain polyunsaturated fattyacids for European seabass (Dicentrarchus labrax) juveniles: growth and fatty acid composition. Aquaculture, 240(1-4): 399-415.
- Skalli, A., Robin, J.H., Le Bayon, N., Le Delliou, H., and J.P.L., Ruyet. 2006. Impact of essential fatty acid deficiency and temperature on tissues’ fatty acid composition of European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Aquaculture, 255: 223-232.
- Sorbera, L.A., Zanuy, S., and M. Acrrillo. 1998. A role for polyunsaturated fatty acids and prostaglandins in oocyte maturation in the sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 839: 535-537.
- Tocher, D.R. 2003. Metabolism and functions of lipids and fatty acids in Teleost fish. Reviews in Fisheries Science, 11(2): 107-184.
- TUIK. 2010. Fishery statistics. Turkish Statistical Institute, Ankara, Rurkey, pp: 71.
- Van der Kraak, G., and S. Biddiscombe. 1999. Polyunsaturated fatty acids modulate the properties of the sex steroid binding protein in goldfish. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, 20: 69-74.
- Vetter, R.D., Hodson, R.E., and C. Arnold. 1983. Energy metabolism in a rapidly developing marine fish egg, the red drum (Sciaenops ocellata). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 40: 627-634.
- Watanabe, T., Oowa, F., Kitajima, C., and S. Fujita. 1978. Nutritional quality of brine shrimp, Artemia salina, as a living feed from the viewpoint of essential fatty acids for fish. Bulletin of the Japanese Society of Scientific Fisheries, 44: 1115-1121.