Determination of Proximate Composition and Sensory Attributes of Scallop (Flexopecten glaber) Gonads
Nermin Berik, Ekrem Cem Çankırılıgil
In this study, edible properties of gonads belonging to Flexopecten glaber, a particular Mediterranean species, were determined. The scallops used in the assay were purchased from Canakkale fish market, which were collected in Lapseki Bay in Canakkale. Sampling was done in February and April. The study was conducted in order to determinate proximate composition and sensory attributes of scallop gonads. Meat yield averages of scallop gonads were higher in April than in February (P≤0.05). Minerals that cause health risks such as Al, Pb, Cd were also determined and found below the legal limits in scallop gonads. Furthermore, results of microbiological analyses showed that values of microorganisms that cause health risks were also below the legal limits in scallop gonads. According to the sensory appreciation test in cooked gonads, fried gonads had the highest score. Eventually, it can be suggested that scallop gonads are appropriate food sources in terms of nutritional values and sensory attributes. This study will lead both sector employees and consumers about edible properties of Flexopecten glaber’s gonads and this will also increase the contribution of fishery products in sector and economy.
- Altun, T., Usta, F., Çelik, F. and D. Danabaş. 2004. Su Ürünlerinin İnsan Sağlığına Yararları. Çukurova University, Fisheries Faculty. Balcalı – Adana / Turkey <http://www.akuademi.net/USG/USG2004/CK/ck02.pdf>, 2013.
- AOAC, 2000. Official Methods of Analysis. 17th Ed., Vol II. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem., Wash. D.C., USA.
- Barnes, R. 1987. Intervebrate Zoology (5 th edition) London, 402-440.
- Brand, A.R. 2006. The European Scallop Fisheries for Pecten maximus, Aequipecten opercularis and Mimachlamys varia. Scallops. Biology, Ecology and Aquaculture, 19: 991-992.
- EC, 2001. Commission Regulation (EC) No. 221/2002 Of 6 February 2002 Amending Regulation (EC) no. 466/2002 Setting Maximum Levels for Certain Contaminants in Foodstuffs. Official Journal of the European Communities, Brussels.
- EPA, 2009. National Primary Drinking Water Regulations. EPA 816-F-09-004 May.
- FAO, 2011. Internet: http://www.fao.org/figis/servlet/TabSelector>, 2013.
- FDA, 2000. Bacteriological Analytical Manual. in: Compendium of Microbiological Methods for the Analysis of Food and Agricultural Methods. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, USA
- Folch. 1957. Simple Method for the Isolation and Purification of Total Lipids from Animal Tissue. J. Biol. Chem, 497-509.
- Horwitz, W. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis of Aoac International (Oma). Education, Gaithersburg.
- Kırkağaç, M. and G. Köksal. 2004. The Response Of Macroinvertebrates To Pollution In Rivers: The Utilization Of Biotic And Diversity Indices. University of Ankara, Agricultural Faculty, Division of Fisheries.
- Krzynowek, J. and J. Murphy. 1987. Proximate Composition, Energy, Fatty Acid, Sodium, and Cholesterol Content of Finfish, Shellfish and Their Products. NOAA Technical Report NMFS 55.
- Landvogt, A. 1991. Errors in Ph Measurement of Meat and Meat Products by Dilution Effects. 37th International Congress of Meat Sicence And Technology, 8(10): 1159-1162.
- Mason, R. L. and S.M., Nottingham. 2008. Food 3007 and Food 7012, Sensory Evaluation Manual. The University of Queensland.
- Mattei, N. and M. Pellizzato. 1999. A Population Study on Three Stocks of A Commercial Adriatic Pectinid. Fisheries Research, 26(1,2): 49-65.
- Pazos, A. J., Román, G., Acosta, C. P., Abad, M. and J.L., Sánchez. 1997. Seasonal Changes in Condition and Biochemical Composition of the Scallop Pecten maximus from Suspended Culture in the Ria De Arousa (Galicia, N.W. Spain) In Relation To Environmental Conditions. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 211(2): 169-93.
- Pechenik, J. A. 1996. Biology of The Intervebrates. Wm., Brown, C. Publishers, London, 241-256.
- Turkish Food Codex. 2008. <http://www.iegm.gov.tr/Folders/TheLaws/gida_madde_teblig_d65ce77.pdf>, 2013.
- Yıldırım, M. Z., Gülyavuz, H. and M. Ünlüsayın. 1997. A Study on Flesh Productivity of Egirdir Lake’s Crayfish (Astacus leptodactylus saalinus Nordman, 1842) Turk. J. Zoology, 21(1): 101-105.