A Preliminary Study on the Determination of Triploidy by Chromosome Analysis at the Different Stages of Development in Rainbow Trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss
Osman Nezih Kenanoğlu, Sevdan Yılmaz, Sebahattin Ergün, Cüneyt Akı
There are several methods for ploidy determination of fish, those have been developed by many researchers until to date. For these methods, the cost and the applicability of each stage of fish development are very important. The aim of this study was to compare the applicability of chromosome preparation in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) at the different stages of development, including the early and late stages of embryo, pre-larvae, post-larvae and fry stages. Chromosome preparations were modified from previous studies and successfully used in order to determine the ploidy in O. mykiss. At the end of applications, the best result for the applicability of chromosome preparation was obtained from the embryos at late stage. Also, it was determined that the chromosome numbers in diploid and triploid O. mykiss were 2n=56 and 3x=84, respectively, that were selected from the well-spred metaphase chromosomes.
- Al-Sabti, K. 1985. Chromosomal Studies by Blood Leukocyte Culture Technique on Three Salmonids from Yugoslavian Waters. Journal of Fish Biology, 26: 5-12.
- Bencsik, I., Pacala, N., Dumitrescu, G., Dronca, D., Stanculet, J., Petculescu-Ciochina, L., and L. Boca. 2011. The Rate of Tetraploidy Determination in Rainbow Trout (Oncor-hynchus mykiss) in Embryonated Eggs. Animal Science and Biotechnologies, 44: 158-161.
- Benfey, T.J. 1996. Use of All-Female and Triploid Salmonids for Aquaculture in Canada. Bulletin of the Aquaculture Association of Canada, 96: 6-8.
- Bertollo, L.A.C., Takahashi, C.S., and F.O., Moreira. 1978. Cytotaxonomic Considerations on Hoplias lacerdae (Pisces, Erythrinidae). Brazilian Journal of Genetics, 7: 103-120.
- Chakraborty, S.K., and P.V., Kagwade. 1989. Somatic Chromosomes of Two Marine Teleosts. Fish Genetics in India, Edrs. Das & Jhingran, pp. 63-68.
- Chourrout, D. and A. Happe. 1986. Improved Methods of Direct Chromosome Preparation in Rainbow Trout, Salmo gairdneri. Aquaculture, 52: 255-261.
- Colihueque, N., Ittura, P., Estay, F., and N.F., Diaz. 2001. Diploid Chromosome Number Variations and Sex Chromosome Polymorphism in Five Cultured Strains of Rainbow Trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. Aquaculture, 198: 63-77.
- Fujiwara, A., Nishida-Umehara, C., Sakamoto, T., Okamoto, N., Nakayama, I., and S. Abe. 2001. Improved Fish Lymphocyte Culture for Chromosome Preparation. Genetica, 111: 77-89.
- Gjedrem, T. 1976. Possibilities for Genetic Improvements in Salmonids. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 33: 1094-1099.
- Harrell, R.M., Heukelem, W.V., and J.H., Kerby. 1998. A Comparison of Triploid Induction Validation Techniques. The Progressive Fish-Culturist, 60: 221-226.
- Hussain, M.G., and B.J., McAndrew. 1994. An İmproved Technique for Chromosome Karyotyping from Embryonic and Soft Tissues of Tilapia and Salmonids. Asian Fisheries Science, 7: 187-190.
- Inokuchi, T., Abe, S., Yamaha, E., Yamazaki, F., and M.C., Yoshida. 1994. BrdU Replication Banding Studies on the Chromosomes in Early Embryos of Salmonid Fishes. Hereditas, 121: 255-265.
- Johnson, O.W., Rabinovich, P.R., and F.M., Utter. 1984. Comparison of the Reliability of a Coulters Counter with a Flow Cytometer in Determining Ploidy Levels in Pacific Salmon. Aquaculture, 43: 99-103.
- Kenanoğlu, O., Yılmaz, S., Soytaş, N., Ergün, S., Akı, C., and F. Tapan. 2012. Determination of Triploidy in Rainbow Trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss Using Erythrocyte Measurements. Marine Science and Technology Bulletin, 1: 17-19.
- Kucharczyk, D., Woznicki, P., Luczynskic, M. J., Klingera, M., and M. Luczynskia. 1999. Ploidy Level Determination in Genetically Manipulated Northern Pike Based on the Number of Active Nucleoli Per Cell. North American Journal of Aquaculture, 61:38-42.
- Ladygina, T., and Y. Wakamatsu. 1999. Chromosome Preparation from the Medaka, Oryzias latipes, at the Different Stages of Development. The Fish Biology Journal Medaka, 10: 33-34.
- Liu, S., Sezaki, D., Hashimoto, K., Kobayashi, H., and M. Nakamura. 1978. Simplified Techniques for Determination of Polyploidy in Ginbuna, Carassius auratus langsdorfi. Bulletin of the Japanese Society of Scientific Fisheries. 44: 601-606.
- Mcphail, J.D., and R.L., Jones. 1966. A Simple Technique for Obtaining Chromosomes from Teleost Fishes. Journal of Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 23: 767-769.
- Ojima, Y., Takayama, S., and K. Yamamoto. 1972. Chromosome Preparation from Cultured Scale Epithelium of Teleost Fish. Japan Journal Genetic, 47: 445-446.
- Oliveira, C., Foresti, F., Rigolino, M.G., and Y.A., Tabata. 1995. Synaptonemal Complex Analysis in Spermatocytes and Oocytes of Rainbow Trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Pisces, Salmonidae): the Process of Autosome and Sex Chromosome Synapsis. Chromosome Research, 3: 182-190.
- Phillips, R., Zajicek, Z., Ihssen, P., and O. Johnson. 1986. Application of Silver Staining to Identification of Triploid Fish Cells. Aquaculture, 54: 313-319.
- Pradeep, P.J., Srijaya, T.C., Zain, R.B.M., Papini, A., and A.K., Chatterji. 2011. A Simple Technique for Chromosome Preparation from Embryonic Tissues of Teleosts for Ploidy Verification. Caryologia, 64: 235-241.
- Roberts, F.L. 1964. A Chromosome Study of Twenty Species of Centrarchidae. Journal of Morphology, 115: 401-417.
- Shao, C.W., Wu, P.F., Wang, X.L., Tian, Y.S., and S.L., Chen. 2010. Comparison of Chromosome Preparation Methods for the Different Developmental Stages of the Half-Smooth Tongue Sole, Cynoglossus semilaevis. Micron, 41: 47-50.
- Small, S., and T. Benfey. 1987. Cells Size in Triploid Salmon. Journal of Experimental Zoology, 241:339–342.
- Thorgaard, G.H., and G. Disney. 1990. Chromosome Preparation and Analysis. In: C. Schreck, P. Moyle (Ed.), Methods for Fish Biology, American Fisheries Society, pp. 171-190.
- Ulupınar, M., and İ. Okumuş. 2001. Kuzey-Doğu Karadeniz’de Yetiştiriciliği Yapılan Gökkuşağı Alabalıklarında (Oncorhynchus mykiss) Kromozom Farklılıklarının Belirlenmesi. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 26: 525-533.
- Völker, M., and H. Kullmann. 2006. Sequential Chromosome Banding from Single Acetic acid Fixed Embryos of Chromaphyosemion Killifishes (Cyprinodontiformes, Nothobranchiidae). Cybium, 30: 171-176.
- Woznicki, P., and H. Kuzminski. 2002. Chromosome Number and Erythrocyte Nuclei Length in Triploid Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). Caryologia, 55: 295-298.
- Yamada, J. 1967. An Observation of the Chromosomes in the Embryonic Cells of a Goby, Chaenogobius urotaenia (Hilgendorf). Bulletin of the Faculty of Fisheries, 18: 183-187.