Quality Determination of Experimental Sausage Production from Shark Meat
Dilek Kahraman, Nermin Berik
In this study, sausage from spiny dog fish (Squalus acanthias) was produced. The purpose of study was to determine sausage made from shark meat was consumable or not. In order to find out quality characters of shark meat, paste and products, physical and chemical analysis were carried out. No significant differences for pH were observed among the meat, paste and product (P>0.05). Due to similar studies; the quantity of seperated gel and seperated fat, water holding capacity and loss of weight caused by cooking method were found low in paste of sausage while process efficiency was found high. In addition, chemical analysis of water (moisture), protein and fat amounts were not higher than the required values. In conclusion, the quality evaluation results indicated that shark (by-catch fish species) meat can be used for sausage processing.
- Anonymous. 2008. Species Distribution Map for Picked Dogfish (Squalus acanthias). Fao.org/figis/species maps.
- AOAC. 1998. Official methods of analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, VA.USA.
- Arslan, A. 2002. Et Muayenesi ve Et Ürünleri Teknolojisi. Medipres. ISBN, 9756676078, 9789756676073. Length, 506 pages. Elazığ -Turkey.
- Arslan, A., Dinçoğlu, H.A., and Z. Gönülalan. 2001. Fermented Cyprinus carpio L. Sausage. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 25: 667–673.
- Bloukas, J.G., and K.O., Honikel. 1992. The Influence of Additives on the Oxidation of Pork Backfat and Its Effect on Water and Fat Binding in Finely Comminuted Batters. Meat Science, 32: 31–43.
- Bloukas, J.G., Paneras, E.D., and G.C., Fournitzis. 1997. Sodium Lactate and Protective Culture Effects on Quality Characteristics and Shelf Life of Low-Fat Frankfurters Produced with Olive Oil. Meat Science, 45: 223–238.
- Cardoso, C., Mendes, R., and M.L., Nunes. 2008a. Development of a Healthy Low-Fat fish Sausage Containing Dietary Fibre. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 43: 276−283.
- Cardoso, C., Mendes, R., Pedro, S., and M.L., Nunes. 2008b. Quality Changes During Storage of Fish Sausages Containing Dietary Fiber. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology, 17: 73–95.
- Cardoso, C., Mendes, R., and M.L., Nunes. 2009. Instrumental Texture and Sensory Characteristics of Cod Frankfurter Sausages, International Journal of Food Properties, 12: 625-643.
- Chuapoehuk, P., Raksakulthai, N., and W. Worawattanamateekul. 2001. Process Development of Fish Sausage. International Journal of Food Properties, 4: 523-529.
- Dinçer, M.T. 2008. Production of Fish Sausage Using Rainbow Trout Fillets and Determination the Quality Changes in Cold Storage (4±2ºC) Conditions (PhD Thesis). Ege University. Turkey.
- Gülyavuz, H.G. 1991. Balık Etlerinde Sosis Yapımı Üzerinde Bir Araştırma. (Ms Thesis). Akdeniz University. Turkey.
- Hu, Y., Xia, W., and C. Ge. 2008. Characterization of Fermented Silver Carp Sausages Inoculated with Mixed Starter Culture. LWT – Food Science and Technology, 41: 730–738.
- Hu, Y., Xia, W., and X. Liu. 2007a. Changes in Biogenic Amines in Fermented Silver Carp Sausages Inoculated with Mixed Starter Cultures. Food Chemistry, 104: 188–195.Hu, Y., Xia,W., and C. Ge. 2007b. Effect of Mixed Starter Cultures Fermentation on the Characteristics of Silver Carp Sausages. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 23: 1021–1031.
- Hughes, E., Cofrades, S., and D.J., Troy. 1997. Effects of Fat Level, Oat Fibre and Carrageenan on Frankfurters Formulated with 5, 12, 30% fat. Meat Science, 45: 273–281.
- Ludorff, W., and V. Meyeri. 1973. Fische und Fischerzeugnisse. Paul Parey Verlag, Berlin und Hamburg, 309 p.
- Purma, Ç. 2006. Evaluation of the Usage of Dried Apricot Pulp in Sausage Production. (Msc Thesis). Ege University, Turkey.
- Rahman, M.S., Al-Waili, H., Guizani, N., and S. Kasapis. 2007. Instrumental-Sensory Evaluation of Texture for Fish Sausage and its Storage Stability. Fisheries science, 73: 1166–1176.
- Raksakulthai, N., Chantikul, S., and M. Chaiyawat. 2004. Production and Storage of Chinese Style Fish Sausage from Hybrid Clarias Catfish. Kasetsart Journal, 38: 102 – 110.
- Sanchez, I., Perez-Mateos, M., and J. Borderias. 2004. Incorporacio´n de Fibra Diete´ tica a Reestructurados: una Posibilidad. In: CTC Alimentacio´n. (edited by F.G. Caravaca). pp. 10–12. Madrid: Centro del CSIC.
- Schormüller, J.1968. Hvebuch der Lebensmittel Chemie. Springer-Verlag. Berlin-Heidelberg, New York. 1493–1495.
- Şengör, G.F., Mol, S., and D. Ucok. 2007. The Effect of Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid and Salt on the Quality of Spiny Dogfish (Squalus acanthias) Fillet. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology, 16: 103–114.
- Vannuccini, S. 1999. Shark Utilization, Marketing and Trade. FAO Technical Fisheries Paper Rome, (389): 470.