Structure, growth, mortality and size at sexual maturity of various populations Astacus leptodactylus Eschscholtz, 1823 (Cructecea: Decopada) in Turkey
Selçuk Berber, Yavuz Mazlum, Aydın Demirci, Selçuk Türel
Population characteristics such as population structure, growth, mortality, and size at sexual maturity of the Astacus leptodactylus were examined in various lakes based on size-frequency distribution by using FISAT software program from April 2002 to March 2003 in Turkey. Specimens were collected monthly using with fyke-nets of 32 mm mesh size. Population size based on size-frequency distribution between female and male and between two years data were described. Malesoutnumbered females in all lakes and the average sex ratios (male/female) were found to be significantly different. Mean total length (TL mm) was found similar for male and female crayfish in all lakes. However, while the total length of the samples from Iznik was the largest (26-68.5 mm TL),thesamples from Ulubat it was the smallest (15.2-82.3 TL), where as the population from Manyas Lake was intermediate (23 mm-71.5 mm TL). Growth parameter was estimated by using the modified von Bertalanffy growth function for male and female. Growth was continuous throughout the year. Female crayfish were larger and grew faster than males at the same age. In addition, total mortality based on the seasonalized length-converted catch curve for both sexes were Z= 1.87, (female), Z= 1.52, (male) in lake Manyas, Z= 1.78, (female), Z= 1.69, (male), in lake Ulubat; and Z= 1.79, (female), Z= 1.78, (male) in lake Iznik. Exploitation rate between female and male were calculated in lakes Manyas,Ulubat, and İznik as E= 0.57, (female), E= 0.54, (male) E= 0.63, (female), E= 0.57, (male) E= 0.66, (female), E= 0.53, (male), respectively.
Population structure, Maturity, Growth parameter, Fishing pressure, Astacus leptodactylus
- Alves, E. S., and P. R. Pezzuto. 1998. Population dynamics of Pinnixa patagoniensis Rathbun, 1918 (Brachyura: Pinotheridae) a symbiotic crab of Sergio mirim (Thalassinidea: Callianassidae) in Cassino Beach, Southern Brasil. Marine Ecology, 19: 37–51.
- Anonymous, 2002. The commercial fish catching regulations in seas and inland waters in 2002-2004 fishing period: Circular, 34(1): 87. (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, Directorate General of Conservation and Inspection, Ankara).
- Barbosa, P. 1998. Conservation biological control. 39–54p. Academic. New York.
- Berber, S., and. Y. Mazlum. 2009. Reproductive efficiency of the narrow-clawed crayfish, Astacus leptodactylus, in several populations in Turkey. Crustaceana, (5)82: 531-542.
- Bhattacharya, C. G. 1967. A simple method of resolution of a distribution into Gaussian components. Biometrics 23: 115–135.
- Bolat, Y. 2001. An estimation in the population density of freshwater crayfish (Astacus leptodactylus salinus, Nordman, 1842) living in Hoyran Area of Lake of Eğridir. PhD thesis The Süleyman Demirel Universty, 116.
- Campbell, A. 1983. Growth of Tagged American Lobsters, Homarus americanus, in the Bay of Fundy. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 40(10): 1667–1675
- Colak, S. 1994. The Present stuation of crayfish plague in Lake İznik. İstanbul Üniversitesi. Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü ·Msc Thesis, 39p.
- Deval, M. C., Bök, T., Ates, C., and Z. Tosunoglu. 2007. Length-based estimates of growth parameters, mortality rates, and recruitment of Astacus leptodactylus (Eschscholtz, 1823) (decapoda, astacidae) in unexploited inland waters of the northern Marmara region, European Turkey. Crustaceana, 80 (11): 655-665.
- Erençin, Z., and G. Köksal 1977. Studies on freshwater crayfish (Astacus leptodactylus Esch. 1823) in Anatolia. Kournal of Veterinary Faculty of Ankara Universty, 24(2): 187-192.
- Frechette, J., and D. G. Parsons. 1983. Report of shrimp ageing workshop held at Ste. Foy, Quebec, 1.n May and at Dartmouth. Nova Scotia, in November 1981. Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO) Scientific Council Studies, 6: 79-100.
- Froese, R., and C. Binohlan. 2003. Simple method to obtain preliminary growth estimates for fishes. Journal of Applied Ichthyology, 19: 376-379.
- Gayanilo, F. C., Sparre, P., and D. Pauly. 1996. The FAOICLARM Stock Assessment Tools (FiSAT) User’s Guide.FAO Computerized Information Series, Fisheries. FAO, Rome.
- Geldiay, R., and S.Balık. 1996. Freshwater Fish in Turkey. Ege University, Fisheries Faculty Paper, No: 46 İzmir 532p.
- Harlıoğlu, M. M., and D. M. Holdich. 2001. Meat yields in the introduced crayfish, Pacifastacus leniusculus and Astacus leptodactylus, from British waters. Aquaculture Research, 32: 411-417
- Harlıoğlu, M. M., and İ. Türkgülü. 2000. The relationship between egg size and female size in freshwater crayfish Astacus leptodactylus . Aquaculture International, 8: 95-98.
- Harlıoğlu, M. M. 2008. A scanning electron microscopic study on the appendage morphology of Astacus leptodactylus (Eschscholtz,1823) and Pacifastacus leniusculus (Dana, 1852) (Crustacea: Decapoda: Astacoidea). Internacional Journal of Morphology, 26(4): 1035-1051.
- Hartnoll, R. G. 1982. Growth. In the Biology of Crustacea. Vol. 2. Embryology, morphology and genetics, 111-196p. Ed. by L.G. Abela. Academic Press, New York 440 pp.
- Hartnoll, R. G. 2001. Growth in Crustacea – twenty years on. Hydrobiologia 449: 111–122.
- Holdich, D. M., and I. D. Reeve. 1991. Alien crayfish in British waters. Final Report on GR3/6842 for Natural Environment Research Council, 38.
- Huner, J. V. 1994. Freshwater Crayfish Aquaculture in North America, Europe, and Australia. The Haworth Press Inc, New York.
- Köksal, G. 1988. Astacus leptodactylus in Europe. In Holdich D.M. & Lowery R.S. (eds), Freshwater crayfish, biology, management and exploitation, 365-400, Croom Holm, London.
- Mackeviciene, G. 1999. A comparative study of physiological and biochemical indices of native European and alien species of crayfish in Lithuania. Freshwater Crayfish, 12: 205-220.
- Morrissy, N. M. 1983.Crayfish research and industry activities in Australia, New Guinea and New Zealand. Freshwater Crayfish. 5: 534-544.
- Pauly, D. 1980. On the interrelationships between natural mortality, growth parameters and mean environmental temperature in 175 fish stocks. Journal du Conseil international pour I’Exploration de la Mer, 39(2): 175-192.
- Pauly, D. 1990. Length-converted catch curves and the seasonal growth of fishes. ICLARM Fishbyte, 8: 33-38.
- Pauly, D. 1984. Length-converted catch curves: a powerful tool for fisheries research in the tropics (part II). Fishbyte 2: 17–19.
- Reynolds, J. D., Celada, J. D., Carral, J. M., and M. A. Matthews. 1992. Reproduction of astacid crayfish in captivity-current developments and implication for culture, with special reference to Ireland and Spain. Invertebrata Reproduction Devolopment, 22 (1-3): 253-266.
- Ricker, W. 1975. Computations and interpretation of biological statistics of fish populations. Bulletin Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 19.
- Roa, R., and B. Ernst. 1996. Age structure, annual growth, and variance of size-at-age of the shrimp Heterocarpus reedi. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 137: 59–70.
- Sparre, P., and S. C. Venema. 1997. Introduction to tropical fish stock assessment. Part 1. Manual. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper. No. 306.1, Rev. 2. Rome.
- Tuck, R. L., Chapman, C. J., and R. J. A. Atkinson. 1997. Population biology of the Norway lobster, Nephrops norvegicus (L.) in the Firth of Clyde, Scotland- I: Growth and density. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 54: 125–135.
- Turan, D., Berber, S., Topkara, E. T., and B. Verep. 2005. A Frist Record (Knipowitschia longicaudata (Kessler, 1877) for the Fish Fauna of Lake Manyas. Turkish Journal of Zoology, 29:171-176.
- Westman, K., Savolainen, R., and M. Pursiainen. 1995. Development of European noble crayfish Astacus astacus (L.) and American signal crayfish Pacifastacus leniusculus (Dana) populations in a small Finnish lake – a 20-year study. Freshwater Crayfish, 8: 235248.